Search for Associate Editors
The African Review of Economics and Finance (AREF) AREF is seeking to appoint up to three Associate Editors. Applications from female applicants are especially encouraged.
AREF is the leading peer-reviewed journal of African economies, economics and finance. The journal acknowledges that the word 'economics' is plural and all economies are positioned, situated, and embedded in particular societies. Therefore, how the economy is studied must necessarily be plural. From this perspective, the journal welcomes high-quality articles in theoretical and empirical economics, be they orthodox, heterodox, or economics as an interdisciplinary social science, with special emphasis on African economies and/or how they relate to other economies in Africa or the rest of the world. Recent special issues have centred on Subjective Well-being in Africa, China’s Impact on Africa’s Development , COVID-19, Inequality, and Social Stratification in Africa , and The Creative Economy in Africa and the Diaspora - but there is no limit on the topics of interest. The journal does not charge any fees for publication.
All editorial positions are purely on voluntary basis with no honorarium to editors, editorial board members, or reviewers. What is on offer is the opportunity for world-class experience in editing a leading and agenda-setting economics journal. Previous Associate Editors have included full and associate professors at world-leading research universities.
The Associate Editors will independently solicit and select articles that advance AREF’s agenda, promote published papers, and work with the other editors/associate editors/editor-in-chief to run the Annual AREF Conference, select the A.K. Fosu Prize, and choose suitable candidates for AREF biographical essays.
Appointable Associate Editors are expected to have the following qualifications, experience, and attributes:
- - PhD in Economics, Political Economy, Economic Sociology/Economy Geography, Development Studies or any cognate areas;
- - Publications in heterodox/social economics/political economics journals;
- - Teamwork and Communication Skills; and
- - Demonstrated long-term research interests in Africa and African economics/finance/political economy.
Desirable but not Required Qualifications include
- - Previous experience as Editor of a journal, academic blogs, newspaper, or book series
- - Affiliation with a university, research institute, or other academic/research bodies
- - Networks in North, Central, Eastern Africa, the Island Countries in Africa, and Africa in the diaspora (e.g. (South) America, Asia, the Caribbean, and Europe)
Applicants are required to submit the following items to the editor-in-chief
( email@example.com ) before 31st January, 2021.
- - Cover Letter, including a vision statement and how the candidate meets the expected and desirable qualifications;
- - CV; and
- - One writing sample, whether published or unpublished.